Driver identified in fatal single vehicle accident in Blacksburg
Posted: 8:01 a.m.
Virginia Tech Police have identified the driver involved in a fatal single vehicle crash on Research Center Drive near Pratt Drive in Blacksburg early Saturday morning.
The driver was David Gudiel, a 20 year old resident of Springfield, Virginia. He was a junior majoring in robotics and mechatronics in the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech.
There were no other passengers in the vehicle. The crash remains under investigation.
Research Center Drive was reopened later on Saturday morning.
Virginia Tech Police investigating single vehicle crash
Posted: Sept. 2, 2023 - 8 a.m.
On Sept. 2 at 3:40 a.m., Virginia Tech Police and Blacksburg Police responded to a single vehicle crash on Research Center Drive near Pratt Drive. Arriving officers found one individual, believed to be the driver, on scene but out of the vehicle. Life-saving measures were immediately initiated by emergency personnel but were unsuccessful. The individual was pronounced deceased at the scene. There were no other individuals in the vehicle.
Virginia Tech Police are withholding the identity of the individual pending appropriate notifications to family. The crash is being investigated by the Virginia Tech Police Crash Investigation Team.
Research Center Drive is currently closed between Pratt Drive and Kraft Drive while officers complete the on-scene portion of the investigation.
Members of the university community who seek support or assistance are encouraged to contact these resources.
- Better Together
- Cook Counseling Center at 540-231-6557.
- Dean of Students Office at 540-231-3787. Referral to a campus cleric may be made through this office.
- Employee Assistance Program
- Anthem at 855-223-9277
- Aetna at 888-238-6232
- Kaiser Permanente at 866-517-7042
- Optima Health Vantage HMO at 866-846-2682
- Hokie Wellness at 540-231-2233 (students) or 540-231-8878 (employees)
- Office of Housing and Residence Life at 540-231-6205
- Equity and Accessibility at 540-231-2010
- University Ombuds Office at 540-231-3125
- Graduate Office of the Ombudsperson at 540-231-9573