In memoriam: Cecil R. Maxson, former member of the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors
Cecil R. "Max" Maxson Jr., a Virginia Tech alumnus who later served 12 years on the university’s Board of Visitors, died Dec. 8 at the age of 91.
A native of Richmond, Maxson was a member of the Class of 1952, receiving a bachelor's degree in building construction from a program that is now a part of the College of Engineering. Before completing his studies, Maxson served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
In 1956, he began a 40-year career with Western Electric, C&P Telephone, and NationsBank Corp. During his 25-year tenure with NationsBank and its predecessor corporations, he held various executive positions touching upon management, construction management, and real estate development. When he retired in 1994, Maxson was senior vice president and manager of corporate real estate services for the Mid-Atlantic States. He later served as a business and project consultant for the development of the Virginia Biotechnology Research Park in downtown Richmond, which he completed before retiring again in 1998.
A dedicated Hokie, Maxson served 12 years on the Board of Visitors. He served on the Executive Committee for eight years and was chair of the Building and Grounds Committee for eight years. He also served as the vice chair of the Advisory Council for what was then the College of Architecture and Urban Studies, was a past president of the William Preston Society, and was a member of Sigma Lambda Chi (honor society for construction), the Gateway Society, and Alpha Phi Omega. Maxson also served on the Alumni Association board of directors from 2003-09.
Along with his wife, Shirlee, Maxson was a member of Virginia Tech’s Ut Prosim and Legacy societies of donors. The Maxsons endowed scholarships for academic excellence in both the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine and what is known today as the College of Architecture, Arts, and Design.
In 1999, Maxson received the veterinary school’s most prestigious award when he was inducted into the John N. Dalton Society of Friends, reflecting his love of animals. He was also honored by what was then the College of Architecture in 1999, with its highest recognition, receiving its first Lifetime Contributions Award. In 2000, the Department of Building Construction honored him with its first Lifetime Achievement Award.
He is survived by his wife of 67 years, Ann Shirlee Garrett Maxson; daughters, Evelyn (Eve) Maxson Hopper (Greg) of Midlothian and Susan Maxson Lyons (Charles) of Vienna, Virginia; along with grandchildren, Linda Catherine Lyons and Charles Maxson Lyons, also of Vienna. He was predeceased by his parents, Cecil R. Maxson and Anne Moore Maxson, and three siblings.
In lieu of flowers, contributions are suggested to a favorite charity or to the Cecil and Shirlee Maxson Scholarship in Veterinary Medicine, c/o Virginia Tech Foundation, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061-0131.