Virginia Tech Police shares victim resources available on campus
From: Virginia Tech Police Department
The Victim/Witness Assistance Program at Virginia Tech aids victims and witnesses of crime by providing information and support from the reporting of the crime all the way through the court process.
Victims and witnesses play an important role in the prosecution of criminal cases. This task may feel frightening and frustrating to those involved. The intent of the Victim/Witness Assistance Program is to assist community members in navigating the criminal justice process and help make the experience easier.
All members of the Virginia Tech community have access to the following victim services and resources at no cost:
- Montgomery County Commonwealth Attorney's Office: The commonwealth attorney's office of Montgomery County (MCCA) provides victim/witnesses services to the Virginia Tech community. Please click here to learn more or call the MCCAA at 540-382-5705.
- The Women's Center at Virginia Tech: The Women’s Center provides individual services, counseling, advocacy, and educational outreach. Click here to learn more about services offered.
- The Criminal Injuries Compensation Fund: This fund is provided to assist victims and witnesses with particular costs involving their individual case. Click here to learn more.
- SAVIN: This program is the Office of Justice Programs Statewide Automated Victim Information and Notification (SAVIN). This involves the notifying of victim of the offenders and their incarceration status. Learn more.
- VINELink: VINELink is the nation’s leading victim notification network. It allows survivors, victims of crime, and other concerned citizens to access timely and reliable information about offenders or criminal cases in U.S. jails and prisons. Register to receive automated notifications via email, text, or phone call, or check custody status information online at any time.
For any additional questions around victim services and how to navigate the process, please contact the Virginia Tech Police Department at 540-382-4343.