Virginia Tech to host home football game on Thursday evening, Oct. 26; important announcements regarding university operations
From: The Office of the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer and the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost
Virginia Tech will host a nationally televised football game on the evening of Thursday, Oct. 26 against Syracuse University. Kickoff for the game is 7:30 p.m.
The traffic impact on the university community for events such as this is especially acute on a weekday evening. Therefore, the university will take steps to ensure the orderly flow of traffic and increase safety across the Blacksburg campus:
- University employees who have remote or hybrid work agreements and schedules are strongly encouraged to work remotely on Thursday, Oct. 26. These personnel are expected to work their normal work schedule at their alternate work site and will not receive authorized closing leave, consistent with University Policy 4305.
- Administrative offices and non-instructional university offices will close at 2 p.m. in Blacksburg. This will reduce the number of faculty and staff on campus and help relieve traffic congestion and facilitate other operational procedures for the game that night.
- Designated emergency personnel who work will receive authorized closing leave for their time worked from 2 p.m. to 11:59 p.m.
- All online classes will be held as scheduled.
- All in-person classes in Blacksburg beginning at or after 3:15 p.m. will be canceled.
All members of the Virginia Tech community are reminded of the special parking considerations due to the home football on Thursday, Oct. 26. For faculty and staff needing to stay on campus after 2:10 p.m. please use the Perry Street Garage, the North End Center Garage, or the spaces around the Drillfield for parking. For students needing to stay on campus after 2:10 p.m., please use the Perry Street Garage or the center section of the Duck Pond Lot for parking. Please visit the Parking Services website for specific parking instructions or call Parking Services at 231-3200.
For questions about leave during an authorized closing, refer to University Policy No. 4305: Authorized Closings Leave and Compensation Policy. If employees have additional questions, contact your supervisor or HR representative.