Highly Cited Researchers 2023: Kwok Tsui
Kwok Tsui has been recognized as one of his field’s most cited researchers in the world.
A professor in the Grado Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Tsui was one of six Virginia Tech researchers recently named to Clarivate’s Highly Cited Researchers 2023 list. A global company that maintains the Web of Science, Clarivate compiles an annual list of researchers who demonstrated significant influence through the publication of multiple highly cited papers during the last decade.
Citations — other scientists referencing a researcher’s findings in their own academic papers — are not only an acknowledgment of excellent work, but an indicator that work is playing a significant role in moving the researcher’s field forward. This group of highly cited researchers represents about 1 in 1,000 of the scientists and social scientists in the world, according to Clarivate.
Along with Tsui, Virginia Tech’s Walid Saad, Linsey Marr, Lina Quan, Wenjing Lou, and Zheng "Phil" Xiang were also among 7,127 researchers from 68 countries and regions recognized this year.
- Joined Virginia Tech in 2020
- Research interests include data science and predictive analytics, surveillance in health care and public health, personalized health monitoring, prognostics and systems health management, calibration and validation of computer models, process control and monitoring, and robust design and Taguchi methods
- Recipient of the National Science Foundation Young Investigator Award and a fellow of the American Statistical Association, American Society for Quality, Institute for Operations Research and Management Science, International Society of Engineering Asset Management, and Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
- Elected member and council member of International Statistical Institute and is the U.S. representative to the ISO Technical Committee on Statistical Methods
- This is his first time being named to Clarivate’s list.
- Most cited work: "A Procedure for Robust Design: Minimizing Variations Caused by Noise Factors and Control Factors"
In the researcher's words
What does it mean to you to be among the most highly cited researchers?
I am honored to be among the most highly cited researchers. The credits go to many of my former and current students, postdocs, and collaborators.
What do you most want people to know about your research?
The research areas on data science and prognostics and health management are the two important fields I have been focusing on in the last decade.
What work on the horizon most excites you?
Data science and artificial intelligence.
What motivates you to keep moving forward?
I enjoy learning new knowledge, advising students, and conducting collaborative research.
What advice would you give to new research faculty?
Establish a passion for research.
Read profiles of all of the Highly Cited Researchers