Virginia's largest youth livestock show to be held Oct. 12–14
More than 300 Virginia 4-H and FFA members will exhibit their livestock projects at the Virginia Youth Livestock Expo on Oct. 12–14, at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds in Harrisonburg, Va.
The expo will feature market and breeding shows for beef cattle, swine, sheep, and meat goats, as well as a stockmen’s contest. Various other agricultural contests and events will include a crops contest and agriscience demonstration.
“This show is the culminating activity for youth livestock projects. The hard work of all the youth will be showcased at this event. We are expecting more than 1,174 animals to be shown during the three-day expo,” said Paige Pratt, 4-H youth livestock specialist for Virginia Cooperative Extension. “The public is invited to come out to watch the shows and support our outstanding 4-H and FFA members.”
The expo is open to the public and admission is free.
Virginia Junior Livestock Expo Schedule
- Friday, Oct. 12
- 4:30 p.m. - Breeding Sheep Show
- 4:30 p.m. - Goat Showmanship, Registered Breeding Doe Show
- Saturday, Oct. 13
- 8:30 a.m. - Market Goat Show, Commercial Doe Show
- 8:30 a.m. - Feeder Steer Show, Breeding Cattle Show, Commercial Heifer Show, Market Beef Show
- 10:30 a.m. - Sheep Showmanship, Commercial Ewe Show
- 4 p.m. - Lead Line and Sheep/Goat Costume Contest Show
- Sunday, Oct. 14
- 9 a.m. - Market Lamb Show
- 9 a.m. - Beef Showmanship
- 1 p.m. - Swine Showmanship, Gilt Show, Market Hog Show
Expo details and the complete schedule of events can be found on the Virginia Junior Livestock Expo website.
For more information regarding the Virginia Junior Livestock Expo and sponsorship opportunities, contact Paige Pratt at 540-231-4732.